Representation of Governments and Corporations on Direct Foreign Investment
- Advice to governments on legal reforms to encourage foreign investment;
- Advice to corporate investors on risks and opportunities in various locations outside the U.S and EU;
- Legal issues specific to investments in natural resource and infrastructure projects in various locations outside the U.S.
Representation of Governments
- Advocacy before international commissions and tribunals;
- Advocacy before the United Nations and other international organizations;
- Advocacy before the U.S. Executive Branch and Congress;
- Advice on political and economic relations with the United States;
- Representation in negotiations with the United States of bilateral trade and investment treaties and agreements; and
- Representation of sovereign states and their instrumentalities in litigation and arbitration proceedings.
Public and Private International Law
- Advice to states on their rights and obligations vis-à-vis other states and international organizations;
- Advice to states and corporations on prevention and resolution of international disputes; and
- Advice to states and corporations on creation and interpretation of international treaties and agreements.
- State-to-state disputes;
- International land and maritime boundary disputes;
- International commercial disputes;
- International investment disputes arising under private contracts;
- Disputes arising under bilateral and multilateral investment agreements; and
- Claims involving the law of state responsibility.
U. S. Court Litigation Involving International Law
- Proceedings where a sovereign state is a party;
- Proceedings involving foreign sovereign immunity, diplomatic immunity and related issues; and
- Litigation involving questions of public and private international law.
- The Bar Association of the District of Columbia
- Commonwealth of Virginia Bar Association
- Federal Energy Bar Association
- American Society of international Law
- Middle East Institute
Phone: +1 202 331-5003
Fax: +1 202 331- 4011
AREAS OF PRACTICE
- Representation of Governments
- Public and Private International Law
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- International Arbitration
- University of Virginia School of Law, J.D.
- University of Virginia, M.A. (Foreign Affairs)
- University of Virginia, B.A., with high honors
- Partner and Co-Chair, International Arbitration Group, Dewey & LeBoeuf LLP
- Partner and Chairman, International Law and Dispute Resolution Group, Hunton & Williams LLP
- Partner, Baker Botts LLP
- U.S. Foreign Service, served in Vietnam, Japan, Korea, and Washington, D.C.
- District of Columbia
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit