- More than five years of experience advising a sub-national government with respect to international law issues, including treaty interpretation, legal reform, human rights law, humanitarian law, EU law, international litigation, and comparative law.
- Representation of the government of Ethiopia in arbitrations before the Eritrea-Ethiopia Claims Commission and the Eritrea-Ethiopia Boundary Commission. The Claims Commission held that Eritrea unlawfully started the war and recently announced a net $12.4 million award in Ethiopia’s favor.
- Representation of private and state-owned companies in disputes before international arbitral tribunals.
- Representation of companies and sovereign states in U.S. federal court litigation.
- Representation of clients advocating legal and policy positions before government agencies, international organizations, and legislatures.
- Three years’ experience as lead editor of the U.S. Department of Energy News Briefing, a summary and analysis of energy news published daily online for the U.S. secretary of energy and other department officials and employees. Provided energy-related articles each day to the White House News Summary, the president’s daily news briefing. Articles were also featured in the White House Bulletin’s Executive News Briefing and the daily Political Bulletin on the website of U.S. News & World Report. Managed the editors of six other daily news briefings.
- Two years’ experience as a legislative assistant to U.S. Rep. Thomas J. Bliley, Jr., focusing on foreign policy, defense, and environmental issues.
- Representation of clients in antidumping and other trade proceedings before the International Trade Commission and International Trade Administration and in appeals before the Court of International Trade and the Federal Circuit.
- Experience advising clients with respect to U.S. export control laws and regulations.
Phone: +1 202 331-5004
Fax: +1 202 331- 4011
AREAS OF PRACTICE
- International Arbitration
- Representation of Governments
- Public and Private International Law
- International Law Litigation in U.S. Courts
- Georgetown University Law Center, 1999, J.D. cum
- University of Richmond, 1993, B.A.
- Associate at Hunton & Williams LLP, Piper Rudnick LLP, and Baker Botts LLP
- District of Columbia
- Associate Member in Virginia